clutch slip or OD?

Subject: clutch slip or OD?
From: "R. Martin Rogovein" <rmort@bezeqint.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 23:34:34 +0200
Was driving the other day and noticed the clutch was slipping really badly
in 3rd gear at moderate speeds, engine spooling up quite nicely but the car
not going anywhere.

It started rather suddenly, i hadn't noticed any slippage or odd feelings in
the clutch beforehand.
Neutral is fine, and the clutch seems to work, ie, there is no problem
engaging gears or changing gears.

I read in the archives that this may be a sign of a glazed pressure plate in
the OD rather than a clutch problem.
My OD suddenly sprang to life a few months ago after not having worked since
I've owned the car, so I am suspicious of it to say the least.  Now, it
always kicks in (3rd and 4th only, of course) when I switch it on, but
doesn't always disengage immediately when I switch it off.

So, the question is:
1) how can you tell from the symptoms if the problem is the OD or the
clutch?
2) what is involved in replacing the pressure plate in the OD? (r&r on the
clutch has been extensively covered here recently, no need to go into that
again)

RMartin
70 roadster
Tel Aviv