Re: distributor

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: distributor
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 09:38:12 -0800
No, it's easy. Well, it would be easy if the bolts were at all accessible.
The trick is NOT to undo the distributor clamping bolt -- this loses your
timing, and repeated overtightening of this bolt is frequently causes a
fatal crack in the distributor base. Instead, undo the two bolts that hold
the clamp to the block. This will require a slim, short-handled wrench, or
some combination of flexible couplings and a socket -- the access is not
very good. But I still find it easier to set the points accurately with the
distributor in a bench vise than with it in place on the engine, with poor
visibility and the likelihood of the small screws disappearing forever.

A further trick is to oval out these two holes with a round file to give
them more latitude for adjustment, so you never have to undo the clamping
bolt. This can be a long-term fix for a just-starting-to-crack distributor
housing.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149