Re: Electrical problem

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Electrical problem
From: "S. Allen" <scottallen3663@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 11:46:39 -0500
I'm going to second Richard's thoughts here.  I've had a few alts go bad
after just a year or so.  Go through the alt fault diagnoses in the Bently
book to sort it out, (you can do a quick, but not complete test by checking
(with the car not running) to see if you have 12.5v +/-  on the brown wire
that runs to the center of the plug on the back of the alt and with the car
running 13.5v+ on the brown wire running from the alt to the bottom of the
fuse box.  I'm sure others, (Paul H.?) will pipe up about a more
comprehensive test).

After that I'd go after connections in the circuit.  Start by looking for
corrosion at the battery terminals, work your way up to the alt via the
starter and then start at the lights and work back to the fuse box.

Good luck,

Scott Allen
52 TD
74 1/2 BGT