Re: The work begins

To: MG LIST <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: The work begins
From: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 23:00:41 +1030
On 02/11/2005, at 1:02 AM, Eric Erickson wrote:

> Well,
>
> I am on my way to having a far less tatty looking '68 'B - seven
> years of thrashing the poor old thing around racetracks has meant
> that a little cosmetic patching just doesn't do the job these days.
>
> She is finally getting a facelift and full make-up (hmmm, bodywork
> and paint).

Well,

No-one told me of the anguish.

At last I have the body back.  I have stressed and even slightly
panicked.  The choice of paintshop was mostly out of my hands (they
gave a massively cheap quote to my sponsors and I couldn't justify
the next quote that was thousands of dollars more expensive).  I
constantly gave the paintshop a hard time with my lack of confidence
in them.

Maybe the pressure I put on them did the job - or maybe it simply
wasn't justified - because the car looks bloody wonderful!  Some
purists are going to tut-tut at the brilliant blue metallic (yes,
digital photos are on the way) paint - that actually looks deep
purple when the suns hits it the right way.  It took me a few minutes
to get over the shock (hey, I loved my pale primrose girl) but I
quickly fell in love with this "new" beast.

The body work is fantastic - she is straight as, as... new!?

I feel guilty and will be sending a few bottles of wine to the guys
that did the work on her.

But, trying to save a few bucks here and means now MY hard work
begins.  There is no way all the old, tacky bits and pieces can go
back on as they are.  Pedal box, heater, plumbing and paint-peeling
block all need work before going back under the bonnet.  Wiring needs
wrapping etc etc etc.  This was not meant to be a show-car
restoration (I won't say "concours" with that metallic blue paint :-)
but where do you stop?  And what happens when I punt her into a
tyrewall at the track :-)

Oh yeah - and I don't know if it was a mistake or great timing that I
just took delivery of my autographed copy of "An MG is Born".  I
don't have his parts washer or blasting booth so I may be visiting
(and paying for) some professional help - or just spending a lot of
time with my dremmel, steel wool and paint-stripper.  All the parts
are sitting in my Rover... where do I start!?

Of course the interior needs work to match the exterior.  Oh dear!
Oh my aching check book!

You would think after owning an MG for eight years I would be used to
these sort of surprises!

BUT - the paint is fantastic!!

Eric
'68MGB MkII