Re: 77 MGB Headrest

To: "Bill Miller \(LBC's\)" <lbcs@earthlink.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 77 MGB Headrest
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 09:51:28 -0000
They varied over the years.  On my 73 there is a flat spring which imparts
friction to stop the headrest sliding back down that bears on the chrome
support bar.  Pull the headrest up so far and that meets a rivet head or
something to stop it being pulled any further.  By sliding a piece of flat
strip down the back of the bar I was able to lift the sprint over the rivet
head.  But that was on one side only.  On the other I just couldn't do it,
and as I was recovering the seats and fitting new headrests anyway I put a
jack behind the seat on the floor, with a piece of timber going up from that
to the bottom of the headrest just behind the chrome bar, and jacked it out.
Crumpled the spring, but I never refitted either of them as I always have
them fully lowered anyway.  Don't think it damaged the headrest.

PaulH.