Re: Intermittant losses in power

To: "Phil Bates" <jello@ida.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Intermittant losses in power
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 09:53:44 -0000
I would say it is *not* electrics/ignition as power would be more likely to
fail altogether, but fuel supply.  Have you checked the float bowls for
debris?  With HSs the rubber O-ring where the jet pipe screws into the float
bowl can deteriorate and bits get into the pipe to partially block the flow
of fuel under some circumstances.  With two carbs (I assume) one could be
blocking intermittently meaning you are running on just one.  Stopping as
soon as it happens and pulling the plug leads off one by one (carefully!)
would confirm this is one end made no difference and the other caused the
car to stall.  Could also be general fuel supply problems, normally I'd say
remove a pipe from a carb, direct it into a container and switch on the
ignition.  It should deliver at least one pint per minute consistently and
with none or few bubbles.   But being so intermittent you may have to pump a
lot before the problem occurs, and it may not occur if it is due to road
vibration, heat etc., so again stop and do this immediately the problem
occurs.

PaulH.