Re: MGA 1600 1960 Distributor needed

To: "James Schulte" <schultejim@msn.com>, <Mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGA 1600 1960 Distributor needed
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 15:14:44 -0000
http://www.telusplanet.net/~chichm/tech/lucas.pdf quotes 40510B/D/F for a
1600 MGA from 59 to 62, if that is what you mean by 'the numbers'.  However
if you mean the number for the centrifugal and vacuum advance curves then
that source doesn't have them, unlike for many other distributors.
Certainly for an MGB, and I've no reason to suspect an MGA would be any
different, any distributor of the correct design will 'work' regardless of
how its curves differ from the original spec.  Indeed the curve that will be
ideal now will almost certainly *be* different from the original, given the
very different fuels if nothing else.  Even with the correct curve (and
regardless of what it says on the body there are a number of unscrupulous
rebuilders out there that will put any old springs and weights inside just
for a sale) the best timing can only be arrived at by trial and error,
generally resulting in the highest advance it will stand without pinking at
any combination of load, throttle opening and revs.  It might not be ideal,
but if the choice is waiting for a *really* correct distributor or driving
it with a compromise now, I'd always take the compromise.

PaulH.