rebuild or scrap?

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: rebuild or scrap?
From: "Peter Ryner" <pryner@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 07:12:39 -0500
All,
I've tried to send this twice with no luck.  Maybe too long so I'll send a
digest version.  I have a '66 B that I'm starting after sitting around a few
years.  Needs a lot of work.

Body:  Need to replace rear valance, RR fender, patch LR fender, replace
floorboards, sills, rockers, rear spring mounts under floorboard, patch
several places in left side of engine compartment due to rust, repair rust
in scuttle.

Engine:  Only have a 18GH - wrong one for the car, can it be made to work in
pos ground?

Trans:  Have two early and one late gearbox's.  One early has large input
shaft which should mate to engine - I think

Front wings are excellent, but the front frame extension has been repaired.
Don't really want to change out the whole front end, but it will always be a
little "waivey" as the PO couldn't get all of the damage smoothed out.
Alignment looks good.

Will need the normal soft stuff and other component rebuilding.

I'm really having a problem deciding if it is worth rebuilding.  I don't
have a lot invested and could easily recover some of the costs by selling
parts, but I hate to see the car lost.  On the other side, unless I find
another engine (not really in the budget) it will never be a correct car.
It does have the early type doors, although the SN about 2000 units after
the change was made.  So I don't know if they are original to the car.

Any experience in mating different engines/transmissions?  What about
thoughts on the best way to proceed if at all?
TIA
Pete