Re: Pinion oil seal for tube type axle

To: "Gordie's Garage" <mg_garage@comcast.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Pinion oil seal for tube type axle
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 15:46:00 +0100
Well, it pre-loads the pinion bearing.  So if it were over-crushed I'd
expect either pinion bearing noise immediately (which is perhaps more likely
with an under-loaded pinion bearing allowing too much lash), or maybe after
a while if the bearing is being over-loaded.  If it isn't making any funny
noises then I'd JFDI ;o)  If it *is* making funny noises then it implies the
pinion and ring gear aren't in correct relationship, which can cause damage
to much of the diff.

PaulH.