Re: MGA Generator

To: "Robert Guinness" <rjglaw@swbell.net>
Subject: Re: MGA Generator
From: "Phil Bates" <jello@ida.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 16:07:55 -0600 (MDT)
My best suggestion is to buy an internally regulated alternator, and
convert up to the modern age.  You can eliminate the regulator completely,
and the alternator will more than keep up with any demands your electrical
system has.  I did this about 2 years ago, but I made a mistake wiring.
My warning light got routed into the wrong circuit, and it caused some
really strange running issues.  I've since corrected the error, and it's a
wonderful thing.  If you put some heavier wire in, you can use brighter
headlights.  You can use lights, heater (I live in Idaho, I need one year
roun), radio, and wipers all at the same time, etc. etc.  It's not
original, but it makes for a more practical car.

Phil Bates
'67 MGB converted to internally regulated alternator
'58 MGA converted to internally regulated alternator