Re: Fuel Prices

To: Simon Matthews <simon.d.matthews@gmail.com>,
Subject: Re: Fuel Prices
From: David Breneman <david_breneman@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 20:16:18 -0700 (PDT)
--- Simon Matthews <simon.d.matthews@gmail.com> wrote:

> On the local PBS station this morning was an interview in which the
> interviewee claimed that the requirement to add ethanol was adding
> 20c
> per gallon in the US. Apparently, the US imposes a large
> (60cent/gallon?) duty on imported ethanol.

Fuel-grade ethanol is primarily produced by the Arthur Daniels
Midland company, a huge agricultural combine which recieves
large government subsidies to make it.  So, it's taxed twice,
once as federal income tax that goes to ADM, then again as
fuel taxes at the pump.  ADM is one of the fattest corporate
pigs slopping at the government trough, and plenty of
congress-types are all too eager to push more money their
way so they can claim they are "supporting our farmers."

David Breneman         david_breneman@yahoo.com