Odd Problem (starter)

To: "MG Mail List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Odd Problem (starter)
From: "John DiFede" <difejo@frontiernet.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 20:44:55 -0700
Subject: RE: Odd Problem...

When you turn the key but nothing happens, do you get a loud click from
the engine, or absolutely nothing?

If you get a loud click you may have the same problem that I do right
now.  I'll turn the key 3 or 4 times and get a loud click, the next time
the starter motor will spin enthusiastically and the engine will start
right up.  I'm not sure if the click is just the solenoid, or whether it
is the starter motor starting to turn just a little then stopping - some
times I can feel the engine jerk like it has turned a little, but not
every time.

I can't help you with your problem, but I'd sure like to know what the
solution to it is!!

Richard & Sammy ('73 UK Black Tulip BGT)

I experienced the same problem which led to my purchase of a high torque
starter.  I would turn the key and sometimes the starter would work, sometimes
not.  I believe it was a weak solenoid not fully activating the Bendix gear
which engages the flywheel ring gear.

Hope this helps.

John DiFede
73 MGB