MGA trans

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: MGA trans
From: "Gordie's Garage" <mg_garage@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 18:55:55 -0400
As part of my refurb of my MGA, I rebuilt my trans.  Well, not really.  It
had so little wear that I shouldn't have replaced anything, but as long as I
was there...replaced layshaft and bearings, all bearings, springs and balls
and 3rd and 4th syncro.
Trans was never right, but I put over 3k on it.  Rattling above at 3k rpm,
slow synro upshifting to third and fourth.  If I didn't hesitate in neutral
I would get a slight grind.  Non-existing downshift to third, and only
successful upon triple clutch.
Anyway, pulled trans today and opened up inspection cover and found 3rd gear
syncro (I think) cracked!
There's a pic here
http://home.comcast.net/~gobird/wsb/html/view.cgi-photos.html-.html, scroll
to bottom.  It's pretty big but good detail.
Anyone ever seen anything like this?  Possibly just a bad cast?
Any ideas what may have caused a crack like that?  Everything spins freely
with no binding anywhere that I can detect.
I'd sure like to hear there was a run of bad syncros, otherwise I'm at a
loss as to what may have caused this:-(
TIA

Safety Fast!

Gordie Bird