Change thread - Air Conditioning

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Change thread - Air Conditioning
From: "Phil Bates" <jello@ida.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 14:49:02 -0600 (MDT)
There are a lot of companies that cando retrofits - vintage air is another
one.  Several of the companies will fit you with the new refridgerant
systems.  The key to having a system that doesn't drain horsepower is to
get the right compressor, and properly sized condensor and evaporator and
all.  The part moss would really need to provide is the venting and blower
unit for the cooling ducts.

Anyhow, I have some experience with compressor retro-fits in my 911 - a
difficult application due to space.  The original Tecumpseh (sp?) HG500 in
my car created an unbelievable amount of vibration, and I had to get rid
of it.  I thought it was just worn out, but when I replaced it with a
rebuilt HG500, it did the exact same thing vibration wise.  The common
(and fairly vibration free) compressor these days is a sanden.  It's
small, compact, and easy to fit most of the time.  For the ideal
situation, you can spend twice the money and buy a Seiko-Seiki rotory vane
compressor which has almost no vibration, and doesn't sap much horsepower
either.

Phil Bates