Re: MG Pricing

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MG Pricing
From: "DON SCOTT" <rowdon@sonoma-county.org>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 16:11:58 -0700
I love MGBs, or I should say I love the old ones.  '63-'67 US models are
totally cool.  '68-'74 are ok.  Models after that, I just can't say I
would want one.  Why wouldn't someone just buy an old Miata as opposed
to dealing with the issues of the later Bs?  Miatas are bulletproof,
cheap (now), and a kick to drive.
Don Scott
1962 MGA
1991 Miata BRG
1992 Integra GSR

>>> Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net> 8/10/2006 3:29:28 PM >>>
Maybe $1500, max... I wouldn't go that high.

The only reason you would want a 1980 is because it might not be as
clapped
out and rusty as an early model, but that is not the case, here. All
the
problems, and none of the rewards...

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149

on 8/10/06 1:03 PM, RampantNM@aol.com at RampantNM@aol.com wrote:

> A good friend's son just came by with a 1980 MGB to ask my opinion.
There
> was evidence on this former Florida car of rus on the top and bottom
of  the
> front fenders and on the doors.  Also the leading edge of the
bonnet.  Didn't
> see anything on the floors, but only made a cursory  inspection.  All
the rust
> had been poorly bondo'd and painted over.
>
> Cracked dash top, broken windshield, Weber down draft, no OD, seemed
to  idle
> pretty well.
>
> The battery would not restart it when it stalled, so battery or
alternator
> problem.
>
> Tappets a little noisy.
>
> The top was fair, a roll bar  had been fitted, the seats had been
cheaply
> recovered.
>
> The seller was asking $4500.00, and I suggested I would pay no more
than
> $2500.00 and figured it would take easily another $2000 to bring it
to decent
> rust free shape.
>
> I'm copying my friend on this, so let us know the list's opinion, and
if
> anyone else has a decent deal on a decent driver, his son is
interested.

> Regards,
>
> Robert B. Houston
> 63 TR4
> 74.5 MGBGT
> 73 MG  Midget
>
> b&Reminds me of my safari in Africa, somebody forgot the corkscrew
and for
> several days we had to live on nothing but food and water. W. C
Fields