Re: Off Topic: Subaru spark plug wires

To: "Paul Root" <ptroot@iaces.com>, "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Off Topic: Subaru spark plug wires
From: "Dave Wood" <dwood143@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 16:29:20 -0700
Paul,

I agree with Peter.  I have one of those spark plug wrenches.  They reach
down like a pair of pliers with rubber tips and grab the wire at the base to
pull off.  It works pretty well.  I think the main reason for having them is
to prevent pulling the wires out of the spark plug end cap.

While you're off topic, got any advice on cleaning out Kawasaki carburetors.
I picked up a 1978 KZ750 real cheap from a charity donation.  It's in good
shape but the plates were 2001 so I doubt that it has been ridden for some
time and gas has probably garped up the Mikuni carbs - one for each of the
two cylinders and definitely a tighter fit than my MG.  It runs but gasps as
soon as the choke is released.  The mufflers were plugged with fiber glass
and I cleaned that out as soon as I saw chunks firing out of one side.  I
thought some dead animal was being blown out.  After that it started easily
and idles fine but just won't rev up after the choke is off.  Even though
it's only a 1978, it's harder to get parts for than our favorite LBC'S.
I've pretty much determined that the fault lies with the carburetors as
everything else seems good - spark , timing and new plugs.

Dave 72 B