MGB Transmission output bearing

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: MGB Transmission output bearing
From: Matt Trebelhorn <matt.lists@trebelhorn.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 12:22:13 -0400
I rebuilt my MGB's transmission (4-synchro) about 9 years/90,000
miles ago.

Within the last week, it's developed a severe vibration.  Shifts
great, clutch works.  But at speed, there's a heavy vibration.

I looked underneath, suspecting u-joints (maybe 80,000 miles old).  I
turned the driveshaft, and there was a lot of play -- but not in the
driveshaft.  The transmission output shaft was moving maybe 1/8" side
to side.  (also, some oil has been leaking out of the rear seal)

Questions:
Can this bearing be replaced without removing the transmission from
the car?  Like I said, it's been a few years since I rebuilt the
gearbox.  It looks like it's one nut and a circlip (once the
driveshaft is out), but it's probably more complicated than that.

Is it likely to have damaged other things in the gearbox?  Like I
said, it still shifts fine.

Is 90,000 miles a short life for a bearing like this?

Your thoughts and comments appreciated.

Matt