Re: carburetter balancing

To: <saidel@camden.rutgers.edu>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: carburetter balancing
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 09:48:34 +0100
The seat?  Do you mean the jet?  HIFs have a temperature compensated jet on
a bimetallic strip which should move the jet up and down as the temperature
varies, probably up when hot but I'm guessing, and I wouldn't expect it to
move much but have never looked.  However it shouldn't move at all from the
throttle, only the needle on the piston should move as the throttle is
changed.  If one of the jets is moving then I'd say it was disengaged from
the bimetallic strip, is loose, and is moving up under the greater suction
when the throttle is opened.  You will have to get them off, remove the
bottom cover and investigate.  Unless you have only just had them off and
fitted new O-rings on refitting you will need new O-rings otherwise it will
probably leak.

Any difference between the carbs is likely to make balancing difficult if
not impossible and should be investigated.

PaulH.