MGA Vacuum Line Question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGA Vacuum Line Question
From: Wilkmanracing@aol.com
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 22:05:39 EDT
I recently had my MGA's engine rebuilt with some, mostly interior,
performance upgrades.  One exterior change is a new Aldon/Lucas performance
distributor.  The vacuum fitting on the old distributor was designed for a
metal vacuum
tube threaded into the vacuum advance and the carburetor.   Mid-way in the
stock metal vacuum tube is an oblong metal chamber through which  the vacuum
line extends.  The new distributor is designed to make use of a  press-on hose
fitting.

My question is this:  Is the oblong metal chamber necessary, or can I  just
run a rubber vacuum line from the distributor to the carburetor without the
chamber?  I know some later
British cars had rubber vacuum tubing, but  still used the chamber thingie
mid-way along the route from the carburetors to  the distributor.  Should I do
this?

Bill Wilkman
1960 MGA