Re: Antenna replacement on a B

To: "Gosling, Richard" <r.gosling@penspen.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Antenna replacement on a B
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 10:00:10 +0100
My UK 73 roadster came with it on the LH rear wing, my 75 V8 with it on the
RH front.  Many years ago I read that it was best practice to fit it
diagonally opposite to where the ignition was located (i.e. LH rear on the
MGB) to be furthest from ignition noise.  My Toyota Celica is like that, but
from memory and observation over many years it seems that a front wing is
the most common.  Probably because aerial manufacturers only supply enough
cable to get to the radio from there!  Clausager shows them on both front
wings, only one rear wing, a GT, and that is the right rear!  However
whether any of those are as original is pure conjecture.  He says that
radios and aerials were factory fit for a short time but not where,
thereafter dealer fit which could have been anywhere.  Late cars did have
factory fitted speakers and "wing-mounted" aerials, again no location
specified, but factory brochures for the period should show them.  I
*suspect* it was front wing, drivers side to be remote from passers-by when
parked facing in the 'normal' direction, then 'lo and behold' found this
showing just that:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MG-8-PAGE-1978-MGB-ORIGINAL-DEALER-BROCHURE-Mint_W0QQitemZ130030902732QQcmdZViewItem

PaulH.