Re: over drive oil

To: <jello@ida.net>
Subject: Re: over drive oil
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 09:30:05 +0100
I'm not sure that is correct.  I see oils specified for pre-1960 classics as
low-detergent (which implies to me that the norm *is* to have detergent),
although detergent oils have been around since at least 1935.  Others such
as GTX are specified as having very efficient detergents for solublising
(their word) sludge and keeping it circulating until it is trapped by the
filter or comes out the drain hole, i.e. it doesn't build up in the engine.
There is no doubt that the factory specified the same oil for the gearbox as
the engine in the MGB, including GTX.  However there *are* additives in some
oils which are detrimental to synchromesh and should not be used, these
include synthetic gear oils intended for limited-slip applications.

PaulH.