rough running 75 mgb

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: rough running 75 mgb
From: <spankyway@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 14:28:54 -0400
   I did check the springs on the mechanical advance, they are two different
sizes with the heavier one being loose on the posts. I have built other
distributors in ht e past and was always able to spin the main shaft hard
enough to see the weights swing out, not so with this one. They do move freely
by hand but that makes the car hard to drive (hehe). I did not use any sea
foam, never even heard of it (am I showing my age??). When I built the carb I
did replace the gaskets but I did notice on the throttle shaft side there is a
large machined are that looks like something needs to be screwed on there, the
coarse and fine adjustment screws are present but it looks like something else
belongs there. I also do not have a choke on this car, I have the water choke
mechanism but I don't know how or if it works. I want to either put on a manual
choke or change the whole carb system. When I got the car about two months ago
this is how it came to me, it was a trade straight accross w!
 ith a parts car for a non-running Goldwing.  I did have to put some brake
fluid in the other day but I could not tell you if it was low when I got the
car or not. It has blown the white smoke twice now. One was while I was
coasting down a hill in gear and it started blowing and sputtering. The second
time was Saturday and I was sitting in a parking lot trying to "tune" the carb
and it started blowing again. The car does have about 20-22 pounds of vacuum at
idle, I would check the timing more accurately but I blew the bulb in my timing
light.