Re: Testing dynamo output MGA 1600 MKII

To: "Pat Harris - \"sammler\"" <sammler@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Testing dynamo output MGA 1600 MKII
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 13:37:36 +0100
If you can spin the dynamo then by linking the F and D terminals and
connecting a voltmeter between that link and the body of the dynamo you
should be able to measure an output voltage.  However it should not be spun
so much that it generates more than 20v or you can damage it, so you will
need some way of controlling its rotational speed whilst watching the
voltmeter.  It will probably not work being spun in the wrong direction.
Normally it should get to 20v when fitted to an engine doing 1000 rpm.  You
won't know that with an air jet, so at best it will be a go-no go test which
may still deliver low output when fitted to an engine.  If you only see
about 1v the field winding may be faulty.  If you only see about 4 or 5v the
armature winding may be faulty.

PaulH.