Re: diesel rated oils

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: diesel rated oils
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 10:06:37 -0800
I have read a similar article relating to American musclecars. One specific
point it made was to avoid oils with the API "sunburst" logo -- these are
optimized for fuel economy and have too few anti-wear additives. It included
a fairly technical description of additive packages and their function and
contents.

Although this article didn't cover them, I know a lot of musclecar owners
that have switched to diesel-rated oils.

I have also noticed that there are now a lot of "specialty" oils on the
shelf: "high mileage", "heavy duty", "synthetic blends", etc. It would be
interesting to see some kind of testing or analysis as to whether this is
all marketing fluff.

--
Max