Re: Here's an oddity on eBay

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Here's an oddity on eBay
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 16:28:05 -0800
On the subject of "pokey", another correspondent of mine looked up the specs
on this tractor engine:

"Power output is rated at 40 bhp at 4,000 rpm and torque 64 lbs7ft at 1,900
rpm. Whoo Hoo!"

Compare that to a standard 1977 MGB: 62.5 bhp @ 5500 rpm, 86 lbs-ft @ 2500
rpm.

1975-77 was already the feeblest episode in MGB production, but slashing 1/3
of the HP and torque... I don't know what to say. This might very well be
the slowest car of the post-WWII era. He says it's "fun to drive"... how
could you tell the difference from standing still? (Well, there's always the
noise...)

I'd put my wife's 3-banger Geo up against it for pinks, and spot him 3
lengths...

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149