Re: choke cable

To: "Monte/Jane Morris" <montejane@gmail.com>, "MG list"
Subject: Re: choke cable
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 16:39:49 -0000
I thought that early it would still be the choke cable coming up from below,
with the outer moving the choke control lever and the inner attached to the
fixed strut which is part of the air-cleaner fixings.  As such the
air-cleaner strut has a hole for a nipple just like for a bicycle brake
cable, and the inner is plain stranded wire which pushes into it and is
clamped by a screw.  The 2nd 3rd and 4th pictures here
http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/linkage.htm show this arrangement.

The Parts Catalogue shows the same arrangement for UK
spec cars with HIFs, with the top-down cable, but isn't clear enough for
US-spec cars with HIFs.  FWIW the V8 HIF arrangement is top-down and *does*
have the choke cable with the nipple on and a slotted block in the linkage
for it to hook into.  With HIFs on a 67 that is non-standard anyway, so it
depends where the carbs came from as to what choke cable is needed.

Both choke and throttle cables have to be adjustable for length or you will
not be able to get the correct movement.  The early throttle and choke had
the outer going into a plain housing and the adjustment was obtained by
being able to slide the inner up and down through a clamp before tightening
a nut (throttle) or screw (choke).  The V8 had a nipple on the inner of both
throttle and choke, a threaded receptacle for the outer for adjustment of
the throttle, and a clamp on the outer to adjust the choke.  Later
4-cylinder cars had the nipple on the throttle cable inner and the threaded
receptacle for the outer, but seem (from Clausager photos) to have a plain
receptacle for the choke cable outer which implies the same removable nipple
for the inner as earlier models.

Both choke and throttle cables should be adjusted such that half operated
the lever they are moving makes a right-angle with cable.  If you go too
much one way it will make the control heavy or stiff to start moving, and if
you go too far the other way the lever can be in line with the cable so
cannot be moved any more, but the control is not fully open.  These
adjustments are made in conjunction with the interconnecting spindle clamps.

PaulH.