Re: HIF4 SU Carbs

To: "Deano" <deano@cox.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: HIF4 SU Carbs
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 16:56:09 -0000
Not to *keep* adjusted, but maybe a bit more difficult to setup properly
from my experiences with both HS and HIF.  When judging the correct mixture
point by using the lifting pins the difference is very slight with my HIFs,
almost subliminal, it is clearer with the HSs.  But even that isn't a
show-stopper, if you can't detect the correct point you simply note where
the mixture screw is when it is just perceptibly rich, and again where it is
just perceptibly weak, and position it between those two points.

Once setup properly - and not fiddled about with afterwards! - both types
retain their tune for many months and many tens of thousands of miles in my
experience.  If you use the car winter and summer HIFs have a marginal
benefit as the thermally controlled jets do seem to control the mixture
better in extremes of temperature.  HSs can get a bit rich if idling for a
while in very hot weather, and can need richening a smidgen in winter.  But
overall HSs are probably better (which perhaps isn't what you wanted to
hear) as they are much simpler i.e. less to go wrong and you can access the
float chamber in-situ.

PaulH.