Re: [MGS] Chrome wires

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [MGS] Chrome wires
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 10:04:56 -0700
I am surprised that respoking your chrome wires would be considered
economically feasible. My 2006 Moss catalog lists the retail price of short
chrome spokes at $11.95 (40 required), and the long ones at $8.60 (20
required). This adds up to $650 per wheel. Even at wholesale (say, 50%
discount, but plus labor) this doesn't seem practical, when a new 60-spoke
chrome wheel is priced at $275. Stainless spokes do not seem to be listed,
but I believe the prices are similar, if not higher.

I am painfully aware of the fragility of these spokes. My chrome wires were
on the car when I bought it in 1988. I tend to have to replace 1 to 3 spokes
per year (per 4 wheels). Individual spokes are cheap enough -- it is the
unmounting and remounting of tires, combined with the impossibility of
getting them properly rebalanced, and the gradual degeneration of true, that
makes it both expensive and annoying.

Moss Motors US sells the spoke wrench. Good luck actually adjusting
17-year-old spokes with it. It is useful for installing the replacements,
however.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149