Re.: [MGS] Rattling sound from the rear 73 GT

To: <leylandauto@yahoo.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re.: [MGS] Rattling sound from the rear 73 GT
From: "Norm" <nsippel@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 18:56:19 -0400
Carl:

What kind of lift did you put your B up on?  Did it support the wheels or
the chassis?  If the latter, you likely missed where the exhaust system was
close to the body/chassis.

It would be best if you could put your car up on a drive-on lift.  Then with
the engine running you should be able to locate exactly where the exhaust
system is shaking against the body/chassis.

I had this problem with my MGB after hitting a highway blacktop swell.  It
whacked the curve of the header down-pipe just enough to cause it to sit
close enough to the under-trans cross-member to bang against it under
acceleration.  Only solution was a new header down-pipe.

Norm Sippel