[Mgs] Cooling issue, revisited

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: [Mgs] Cooling issue, revisited
From: Matthew Milkevitch <mmilkevitch@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 08:37:19 -0700 (PDT)
Fellow Listers;

  Thanks to everyone for all the helpful comments and advice.  It appears that
what I thought was an issue really wasn't, until yesterday....

  Yesterday I started up the B and took her out.  Temp was around 85 F (with
low humidity) here in Philadelphia.  What occurred before didn't happen this
time at all.

  First of all, it seemed like the car got to "N" on the temp gauge in about 3
minutes.  Somehow, I don't think this is normal.

  Second, instead of just settling a little to the right of "N", the temp
needle went to exactly half-way between "N" and "H."  I took it for a short
drive, and it started to inch up toward "H."  It stopped exactly to the left of
"H."  Not on "H," just a hair-width to the left.  It would not come down off of
"H" as I drove normally.

  I brought it home and let it cool down some.  I then removed the radiator cap
and started up the car.  I confirmed that I was getting flow through the
radiator (I could see the coolant moving).

  I ran the car (at idle) for about 10 min. I measured the temperature of the
coolant using a candy thermometer (don't tell the wife!).  I topped out at 185
deg F. My thermostat is 165 F.

  No steam, no leaks anywhere.

  I am assuming I've either got a bad sender or gauge?  Any thoughts with this
new information??

  Thanks for your input,

  Matt
  Willow Grove, PA