Re: [Mgs] i think i know what to do

To: "oliver" <sumton@sbcglobal.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] i think i know what to do
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 09:37:25 -0700
Oliver:

Let's go after the problems one at a time.

Fuel Gauge:

If your temp gauge appears to be reading accurately, then you don't have
a voltage stabilizer problem.

Go under the rear of the car, pull the green striped wire off the fuel
sender and ground it to the chassis. With the ignition on, the fuel
gauge should sweep all the way to full.

If it does that correctly. Clean and re-connect the wire to the sender.
If the gauge still reads empty, the float on the sender may have failed,
or the sender itself may have an internal bad connection. In which case
you will need to pull the sender and check it out/replace.

Tail Lights and Dash Lights:

These receive power from the headlight switch. If your headlights are
working, then the switch is getting power.

The side lamps and dash lights only have this one common point, so it is
a given that either the red wire connector at the switch is not making
good contact, or there is an internal problem with the switch.

These 1973-76 headlight switches were pretty short lived, so it's
probably the switch.

Your historical fix is the best call. The most likely culprit is a bad
contact inside the headlight switch. Futzing with it in the past would
get it working, but after enough times carbon build up would get so bad
that futzing doesn't work any more. Removing the switch, dismantling it
and cleaning the contacts or replacing the switch will get you going
again.

This is where a volt meter or test light is really handy. The feed to
the sidelamps from the headlamp switch is the red wire. Check to see if
you have power here with the switch on. I'm betting you don't.

As you surmise, the brake lights are a totally different circuit. If one
works and not the other, the switching is all ok you either have a bad
bulb, bad socket contact or more likely the connector from harness to
lamp assembly has become unplugged.

Boy, three unrelated electrical problems in one car.

All of these problems are pretty typical as the car gets older. Fix them
correctly once and you won't have the same problem again.

BTW. The recommendation to replace the 4 position fuse box is a good
one. Once you start having electrical problems caused by age, the fuse
box is going to start becoming a problem as it is prone to corrosion
between the rivets and clips. Typical symptoms will be a loss of
ignition switched circuits, such as the turn signals, brake lights etc.

I highly recommend replacing the fuse box and the headlight switch on
any older crash dash MGB. Also take the steering column cowl off and
clean all the terminals of the turn signal/High-low beam switch. This
prevents most of the electrical gremlins from getting out of hand.

Kelvin

On