Re: [Mgs] Springs

To: "Barrie Robinson" <barrie@look.ca>, <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Springs
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 11:12:54 -0700
Barrie:

The MGB GT V8 sat almost an inch higher than the regular four cylinder
car. At the front the cross member had the raised pads seen on rubber
bumper 4 cylinders to allow clearance for the early V8 oil pan (deeper
than the SD1 design).

At the rear of the car the spring front mountings were dropped,
effectively raising the rear ride height to match.

The 4.5" ground clearance sounds like it was under the middle muffler
which was about an inch larger in diameter than the 4 cylinder unit.

The higher ride height makes the car look a bit more "butch" but the
change in handling was criticized.

Your front height looks a tad low, but if your spring rates are where
you want them there is no problem with that.

I did a lot of research before writing up the vehicle height information
in the Performance section of the Moss catalog. I found that there was
an incredible range of heights from car to car. I ended up combining
current research from a number of mailing lists with inspections of
period photography to get a range of ride heights that give at least
some indication of the differences between available springs.

Kelvin Dodd

On