Re: [Mgs] Where to get the GOOD steering rack boots?

To: "Councill, David" <dcouncill@msubillings.edu>, "Paul Root"
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Where to get the GOOD steering rack boots?
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 13:34:46 -0700
David:

Like most suppliers, Moss sources from many different vendors and
manufacturers. It is always a battle keeping on top of quality issues
especially with the market place and materials constantly changing.

As you noted, there can be problems (and often are) with rubber, which
is why we sample all rubber components made for us. We also have a batch
number molded into the part so we can check by batch. Rubber can be too
stiff, or too soft or the bonding material can be substandard allowing
the rubber to fall apart.

The learning process is continual and involves many manufacturers and
suppliers. As the British car market moves from major O.E. manufacturer
to small batch specialty shop production there are going to be constant
issues regarding product quality that have to be resolved to keep our
cars safely on the road.

Fuel hose issues are another matter. The gasoline blends being supplied
in more and more markets are not compatible with most of the rubber that
has historically been supplied for the automotive market. Large O.E.
companies like Gates Rubber will no longer warranty their products
against vapor permeability and leakage. The last technical expert I
talked with admitted that they had no idea what the long term effects of
fuel additives will have on their products.

Personally, I've had "Earles" brand braided stainless steel covered hose
fail in under 6 months where a high spot in the routing allowed vapor to
attack the inner rubber sheath.

Again, there is a lot to learn about the materials that need to be used
to keep our cars safe.

Kelvin Dodd

David