Re: [Mgs] fuel pump?

To: "1971-red-mgb" <1971mgb@cox.net>, "MG LIST" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] fuel pump?
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 09:28:13 +0100
Was the tach steady or flickering while this was happening?  If steady it's
probably HT or fuel, if flickering it will be ignition LT.  If the former
and the engine was still running at all (you say that you were barely able
to maintain speed, which says to me it was) then the pump was probably still
pumping but there was an obstruction.  Wait until it happens again and if it
is convenient remove a petrol feed pipe from a carb and direct it into a
container, and with the ignition on it should deliver *at least* one
Imperial pint per minute, and in practice nearer two, steadily and
consistently, and with minimal bubbles.  You can do that at any time of
course, but if the problem isn't evident at the time may need to keep it
running some time before it occurs again.

PaulH.