[Mgs] Replacing the solenoid on a '77

To: "MGS at autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Mgs] Replacing the solenoid on a '77
From: "Scott Bonacker" <mgs@bonacker.us>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 11:06:40 -0600
Last night I removed the starter from my '77, but had to leave the solenoid
dangling from the wires because all of the brown wires were stacked up on
the live terminal with ring connectors and I couldn't get the nut off. I'll
need to cut the wires then before I can reinstall the starter with the new
solenoid.

One question is whether I should put new ring connectors on all of the
wires, or create a junction box so that only one wire (in addition to the
battery cable) goes to the live post, or use the spade connectors that I
think are generally used. The ring connectors have the advantage of being
more secure against vibration or snagging, but the quantity of them on the
one terminal is a tight fit.

Also, there was a lot of oil in the old solenoid from having dripped off of
the oil filter. I suspect that the reason the rubber dust excluder was badly
deteriorated and softened was the presence of oil.

The other question is whether there is some sort of shield that should be
present to prevent this. The shop manual reprint that I bought before
starting this mentions a 'plastic cover' to be removed before unbolting the
starter. A scanned shop manual of older vintage does not mention the plastic
cover. None of the diagrams or pictures show one. Should there be something
like that?

Tip: The removal instructions say to remove the top bolt first then go
underneath for the rest of it. I found it very helpful to just loosen the
top bolt first, and have an assistant on the topside to remove it after I
had everything else ready. The assembly is heavy to hold one-handed while
removing the bottom bolt.

Scott Bonacker
'77 '73 '65