Re: [Mgs] Rebuilding a brake caliper

To: "joseph cianciotti" <jmc987@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Rebuilding a brake caliper
From: "Monte/Jane Morris" <montejane@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 16:22:26 -0700
Joseph,
I've rebuilt the calipers on my 79B; I should say I've installed new pistons
and seals. I did NOT break the caliper apart as I read that this was
something an amateur like myself should not undertake.
To remove the pistons, just a SMALL amount of air pressure through the bleed
valve (a bicycle pump would work) will force it out as long as the seal is
still good and the piston is not wedged in at an angle.
If I remember correctly the seals (and it seems there were metal rings of
some kind) were the hardest part to remove/install without some special
tool. I did get it done with just shop tools but I don't remember just how.
They now work fine and do not leak.
Monte