[Mgs] The right front corner

To: MGS <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Mgs] The right front corner
From: Rick Lindsay <rolindsay@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 14:34:57 -0700 (PDT)
Hello Friends,

   Here are a few pictures of the cosmetic tweaking of
my MGB's right front corner, fender and lighting.
This isn't rocket science or even mechanic work.  Its
details.  I enjoy details when I tire of mechanics.

   Picture http://www.aubard.us/MGB/RF_corner_1.JPG
shows the right-front corner with (most of) the
lighting, bumper and grill removed.  You can see the
nicks and chips as well as the chewed up lower
valence.  Yes, the right front axle is still calling
for work but I just got tired of axles and brakes.
They'll get my full attention when the corners get
boring. BTW, the battery is from our Land Rover, not
the MG.

   http://www.aubard.us/MGB/RF_corner_2.JPG is just a
closer look like pix-1.

   http://www.aubard.us/MGB/RF_corner_3.JPG is a look
from the grill opening side.  At this stage, nothing
had been cleaned up - including the wiring.  Nothing
but parts removal.

   Next major step was to remove the valence for a
little panel beating.  The light openings were cleaned
up and the paint chips were removed.  The opening was
then painted http://www.aubard.us/MGB/RF_corner_4.JPG
.  You can also see that the upper cross-brace has
been cleaned and all labels removed.  That brace will
get primered a little later and new red paint will be
sprayed on.  After the paint cures, new labels will be
applied.

   Picture http://www.aubard.us/MGB/RF_corner_5.JPG
shows a little surface rust where the valence was
mounted.  It also shows that the red touch-ups around
the lights cleans up the looks.  The paint has also
been polished near the lights.

   http://www.aubard.us/MGB/RF_corner_6.JPG is just
another look like pix-5 but with the flash on.  Kinda
washes out the color of the paint.

   Picture http://www.aubard.us/MGB/RF_corner_7.JPG
shows the front-end with the valence reinstalled and
painted.  All rusty surfaces were cleaned, primered
and painted.  The surface of the valence is a pebble
finish so it doesn't look 'smooth' in these pictures.
It is nice and clean though and a pleasure to work
around.  The side marker has been restored and
reinstalled.  This process isn't documented but I will
do so for the left-front corner.

   http://www.aubard.us/MGB/RF_corner_9.JPG is a look
with the lighting reassembled.  This is a flash
picture so it also washes out and turns the red to
rose.  This is a 1970 car and the turn signal
assemblies are correct for 1970.  However, the PO
bought new lenses for a pre-1970 model so they are
two-color.  They're all-but new so I chose to reuse
them rather than buying new, correct lenses.  The
lenses are mounted with the amber portion in front of
the lamp.  The clear side is in front of a blank spot
on the lamp fixture.  All of this is why I installed
the lenses as you see them.

   http://www.aubard.us/MGB/RF_corner_10.JPG is the
kinda-art look at the corner.  When the bumper is back
on, the corner will look pretty crisp.  Like I said,
its the little things that make the car really 'snap'!

Happy Saturday!

rick
'03 Land Rover DII
'98 Mercedes SL500