Re: [Mgs] Carburettor question

To: "Barak" <barak@hughes.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Carburettor question
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2007 14:33:56 +0100
>From what I have seen over the years the tamperproof just had an alloy cap
pressed into the mixture screw hole of HIF carbs, which could be picked out,
so the term 'tamper proof' could be contested under the Trades Descriptions
Act anyway.  Both my Haynes MGB manual and the Leyland manual
only talk about a 'jet restrictor' on HS carbs, which limits how much the
jet can be adjusted one way or the other, but it still allows you to make
small adjustments.  I suspect because your Haynes specifies 'jet adjusting
nut/screw' it is giving one set of instructions for both HS and HIF carbs,
and hence the 'tamperproof' bit is only referring to the HIFs.

I don't understand why the 'tamperproof' should need 50% more fuel either,
and my manuals say only two down for both non-emissions and emissions carbs.
Like the other Paul says just turn it down two and go from there.  If it
really does need three then you will end up there anyway.

PaulH.