Re: [Mgs] Electrical system questions

To: Barak <barak@hughes.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Electrical system questions
From: Paul Root <ptrmgb@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2007 15:56:54 -0500
On Oct 7, 2007, at 2:11 PM, Barak wrote:

> Thanks to everyone for their help on the carburetor question.
>
> As a bit of back story, this is a car I bought several years ago
> and began
> work on, then had to put away for a long time due to life
> circumstances.
> I've recently been able to get it out and dig into it again, so you'll
> probably be hearing from me a bit more frequently now.
>
> Now, on to the electrical issues.
>
> 1)Stop lamps don't come on when the brake is depressed.
>
> I tried to trace the wiring and ran into a snag...  I can't seem to
> find the
> stoplamp switch!  I find what I think is the pressure test lamp
> switch (with
> two black/white wires attached) sitting on top of the hydraulic
> union.  In
> the same vicinity are two wires not connected to anything, one
> green with
> one of the female bullet receptacles on it and the other green/
> purple with a
> bullet connector on it.  According to my schematic, those are the
> two wires
> that should go into the stoplamp switch.  I'm sure it doesn't help
> that I
> don't know what this switch should look like either.  :(

On a '70, shouldn't the brake light switch be on the black cover up in
front of the master cylinders?

The pressure switch is on the inner wing in a 5 way connector.

> 2) Right hand turn signal doesn't flash, it is steady on.  The left
> hand
> side flashes as it should.  When the hazards are turned on, both
> sides flash
> as they should.
>
> I don't think this is a grounding issue, as when I use a test probe
> to check
> the green/white wire the current remains steady.  I would think that
> grounding it that way would cause it to flash if it were a ground
> issue
> (please correct me if this is an incorrect assumption).
>
> I also don't think it is a flasher issue since the left side works
> fine.
>
> I've bought matching bulbs and replaced them all around, so there
> isn't a
> mismatch in them.
>
> Is it possible for the stalk switch to have gone bad in some way as
> to cause
> this?  Although a connection *is* being made since it does light up.
>
> Any help with the above would be much appreciated!  Especially the
> stop
> lights... I don't want to drive it until that is fixed.  I can deal
> with the
> turn signal issue for a while if I have to.

You just have to trace each section  to find it. I don't think it
would be the
stalk, all it does is get power through the circuit, and the flasher
unit does the
rest.

> Thanks!
> Chris