Re: [Mgs] [MG-MGB] BGT problems

To: <MG-MGB@yahoogroups.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] [MG-MGB] BGT problems
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 09:19:34 +0100
Pt. 2.

It sounds to me like the PO of this car had the problems you are having, and
went to all sorts of trouble and expenditure to try and get round it, which
you are in danger of repeating.  Do NOT spend more money or replacing parts,
diagnosis is key.  MGBs run in desert states without overheating, there is a
reason for what yours is doing, and that is a defect and not poor original
design.  And first of that is determining the actual coolant temperature for
various given gauge readings to determine whether it is getting hotter than
it should or the gauge is overreading, 230 is certainly way too hot - if
that is what it is.

If the coolant *is* getting up to that temperature, then the next thing is
to check the timing, although whilst timing errors can cause hotter running
I can't see it causing that much, without it being so far out that
performance issues would be far more obvious.

If it's a head gasket then I would expect coolant loss and frequent
topping-up, and bubbles in the top of the radiator, which should be easily
visible on a 74 1/2.

Next thing is to look for cool spots on the radiator surface with an
infra-red thermometer.

Next is to compare the bottom hose temperature with the top.  A big
difference here (and I can't give you typicals) indicates a slow flow though
the cooling system, which could be caused by blockages in either engine or
rad (the latter should show up on the previous test) or a problem with the
pump.  I'm not sure of the details but I believe there is an incorrect
combination of pump and engine that results in low coolant flow.  This could
also be due to a faulty thermostat, for the purposes of testing I'd run
without one just to see what the temperature does then.

PaulH.