Re: [Mgs] questions about '78 MG Midget

To: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] questions about '78 MG Midget
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 14:25:44 -0800
Have your friend engage the clutch while you look at the front crank
pulley. Look for thrust movement of the crank pulley.

Thrust washer failure is extremely common with the 1500. Any thrust
movement will cause the rod bearings to wear our prematurely. Replacing
them and checking the thrust surfaces should be normal maintenance every
40,000 miles.

Other than that the engine is pretty solid. Poor maintenance and thrust
loads from the heavier 1500 clutch gave these engines a bad name, but if
this is addressed the engine lasts well.

Kelvin Dodd