Re: [Mgs] Liquid to clean parts

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Liquid to clean parts
From: mark.jones@exxonmobil.com
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 14:54:16 -0500
I too use Evaporust and find it to work very well on rusted parts, best to
clean up parts with a wire brush if possible first.  I think I have a few
pieces soaking in it as  I type.

For a parts cleaner I use a water-based solvent from Spray 9.  It comes in
a 4 L bottle and you dilute it with water.  I find it works quite well
(especially when hot) and has no odour, something that is important to my
wife.

Mark
73 MGBGT
Corunna, Ont.

From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>

The best process I've found for suspension components is a couple of days
soak in a heated solvent tank (here in California we have to use aqueous
solutions. This soak removes any grease and any loose paint. Then I media
blast to remove the rest of the paint and any corrosion.

For aluminium, you have to use different (much softer) media which
burnishes the part without removing metal.

For small rusty parts such as engine bits and brackets the best stuff I've
used is "Evaporust", but it won't work on painted components.
http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=47552&Sort
Order=1

This converts the rust and does not damage critical surfaces. I've used it
on lathe components and internal engine parts such as rockers and timing
gears. It also worked really well on an aluminium steering rack center
section.

I'm interested to hear what others are using, as I am still a novice with
all this new eco solvent thing. My last restorations involved a huge heated
caustic tank that would strip the rust off any panel stuck in it. (no
aluminium tho') Them were the good old days, and my old work mates are
slowly dying off from cancer and other complications.

Kelvin Dodd