Re: [Mgs] Overdrive Numbers

To: MG LIST <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Overdrive Numbers
From: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 19:16:41 +1030
On 14/01/2008, at 7:14 AM, WSpohn4@aol.com wrote:

> We call them  They even say that they know their engine doesn't
> need  it but
> they want to give it  'treat' once in awhile. idiots around
> here...:-)
>
> Know what? It extends to people that really should know better -
> racers.
> I've seen bunches of them filling up with 115 at the track when
> their engines
> have 11:1 and would probably run on 94.  They think it is somehow
> 'racier'.

My engine is high compression (over 12:1) but I can putter about on
95 octane "Premium" ULP as long as I avoid putting the engine under
any significant load.  Try climbing a decent hill or accelerating a
little too rapidly and it sounds like you have dropped a handful of
nuts and bolts down the carby.  Nasty for a "street" car.

On the track I have a permit to run the car on high octane (and high
lead) AVGAS (or "BP Racing Fuel") 105-110+ Octane - if I didn't then
I wouldn't have an engine for too long pushing the thing at 6000+
revs for periods of time (and with my foot pushed to the floor for
much of the time).

I did experiment with my own high octane juice by adding small
amounts of tolulene to a "premium" fuel but I never quite got it
"right" and I hated the smell - it was like you were running on nail
polish remover.

Here is one of the many recommendations for a tolulene mix (the first
that comes up in Google):

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=76638

But yes, I have seen quite a few others ooohing and ahhhing at my use
of this "rocket fuel" called AVGAS and I have seen them take it up to
try and copy my track speed/acceleration.  The problem is they have
"standard" or even low compression engines and spending the
exhorbitant amount they charge for AVGAS may make them feel special
and it does make their cars smell like race cars (some old race cars)
but of course it does them little actual good at all.

The only thing I have heard in favour of running AVGAS in non-high
compression cars is that it is supposed to be of a higher consistent
quality because they don't like planes falling out of the sky from a
bad batch of fuel.  Maybe that makes them feel better as they empty
their wallets.

I use it because I have to - but it was the last requirement in line
as the engine was built (I use AVGAS for my engine, I didn't build my
engine to use AVGAS, as such).

Overdrive?  One day I may invest in one of those.

Eric
'68 MGB MkII
Adelaide, South Australia