Re: [Mgs] Starter wiring

To: RampantNM@aol.com, MGS <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Starter wiring
From: Rick Lindsay <rolindsay@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 08:29:24 -0800 (PST)
Aaaa, that sounds like the ballast resistor bypass
that allows full voltage to the coil for easier
starts.  Robert, you can kludge this feature with a
relay, added to your ignition.  Here's the techno-poo:

A 9 volt coil saturates faster than a 12 volt coil.
Therefore, it is arguably more reliable at high engine
speeds.  That is NOT why they're used on MGs.  The
real reason (and I'm sure someone will argue this
point) is that during the starting process, the
current load of the starter pulls the available
battery voltage down to about 9-10 volts.  This effect
drops the available secondary voltage by a similar
percentage, thereby reducing the spark potential.
BUT, some clever British engineer discovered that if
one adds a ballast resistor in series with a 9-10 volt
coil AND bypasses the ballast resistor (only) during
start-up, the coil will see full operating voltage.
Woohoo.  therefore, to generate the same effect with
your new starter, you simply need to place a SPST
relay across the ballast resistor, activated by the
starter circuit.  Doing so will effectively bypass the
resistor.

Regards,

rick
PS: The valves are done, everything repainted, head is
back on and I'm ready to adjust the valves in my MGB.
Write-ups and photos no longer posted here but
available at the usual place, for anyone interested.