Re: [Mgs] Piston Broke (was Picking a head)

To: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Piston Broke (was Picking a head)
From: The Roxter <rocknatural@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 14:15:19 -0600
Eric Erickson wrote:
> On 15/02/2008, at 1:09 AM, WSpohn4@aol.com wrote:
>

>> I doubt you had a piston problem due to RPM, Eric. There are lots
>> of people that rev MG engines much higher than you do without
>> incident.  I'd look to something else.  Were you getting
>> detonation?  I'd worry about timing and mixture.
>>

> Well it looks like the issue was caused by a broken top ring (the
> rings on the JE pistons are pretty fine) - and using AVGAS with the
> high compression generally mean no detonation.  I will try and take
> some shots but the damage was pretty certainly done by the broken ring.
>
> As far as over revving - on the track I take that thing regularly up
> to 5500 to 6000+ revs but can remember the odd "issue" (missed gear
> related, or high-speed "off"... ) where it has gone well over that on
> a couple of occasions.
>
> I was told she could handle 7000 revs but never really found any
> advantage going much over 5500 - it was only the odd error that would
> see the needle bounce that far past the old redline.
>
> Anyway - I have a lead for some flat-tops and I will be chasing that
> on Friday.
Good luck on that.

I have had broken rings before on a racing mill, back in the 60's. I think what
caused that was a new cam and an increase in revs that resulted. I had run long
enough with a 6000 rpm redline that a slight step had developed in the cylinder
walls. When the new cam called for 7000 rpm top, the step broke the top ring on
one of the pistons.

-The Roxter