Re: [Mgs] Removing Carbon Build Up on Piston Heads

To: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>, "Robert J. Guinness"
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Removing Carbon Build Up on Piston Heads
From: Rick Lindsay <rolindsay@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 06:16:17 -0800 (PST)
--- Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> I've always understood that when removing carbon
> ...it is best to leave a ring of carbon round the
> outer edge of the piston.

Paul, et al., I have read this many time too but I
question the validity.  I feel that it is urban legend
that may have started to keep anateur mechanics from
dinging the cylinder with sharp instruments and
shoving carbon down into the gap where it ends up in
the ring belt.

The better technique I have used is to vacuum away any
loose debris, rotate the engine do the piston is at
TDC, fill the gap between the piston and cylinder with
grease or vasoline then clean the carbon away normally
- all the way to the piston's edge.

After the de-coking, vacuum away any particles then
rotate the engine to lower the piston.  Wipe the
cylinders dry and vacuum again.  Repeat until the
cylinders are clean then oil the cylinders and flood
the ring belt with oil.  Done.

rick