[Mgs] MGA fuel pump problem

To: MGs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Mgs] MGA fuel pump problem
From: dave houser <mgs4dave@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 22:38:01 -0500
Thanks to all who responded with my dilemma. Update: The car is still
not running. The new fuel pump I installed shows the same problem as the
original, current but no clicking. Found a third pump, a rebuilt unit
from 11/2000 on my shelf and before I installed it  I got a little
smarter and put my battery charger to it and...no clicking. Hmmmm. Seems
that these pumps do not like being inactive for extended periods of
time. Gives one a false sense of security to have a new or rebuilt unit
in the trunk for when the one in the car packs it in. I have been able
to get the original pump clicking by putting a small screwdriver behind
the points and lifting the diaphragm several times. That must have
broken  whatever it was that prevented it from clicking while it was on
the car. I was not that successful with the other two. I have a choice
of cleaning the exterior of this one up or simply getting another new
one that was just  put together and not sitting on a shelf somewhere
for  a long time(yeah, right).
(Now's the time for one of those aftermarket pumps, Dave)
Cheers,
Dave Houser