Re: [Mgs] 123 ignition

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] 123 ignition
From: Donald Laub <donlaub@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 22:19:19 -0400
Hi Matt,
I have installed a 123/GB-4-R-V distributor on my supercharged 1969
MGB roadster. After I installed the Moss supercharger kit and a Sean
Brown flowspeed head, the advance curve on the original distributor,
as well as the Moss #143-110 I swapped in, didn't give good
performance. I tried the 123/GB, as opposed to the 123/MG, as the the
former has 16 arbitrary curves, whereas the latter has reproduced the
original curves of various MG models. After some trial and error, I've
settled on "curve 7," with a maximum advance of 300 at 4500 rpm, but a
very steep initial curve with 220 advance at 2000 rpm. This isn't
perfect, as I can't get my idle below 1100 rpm, but it really zips
from a standing start!

Don Laub
Burlington VT
supercharged 1969 MGB