Re: [Mgs] brake light switch / short question

To: "Dave Willner" <dwillner@ptd.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] brake light switch / short question
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 09:20:51 -0000
I'm assuming the other green circuit components like instruments are working
OK, if not it will be the fuse.

Turn the ignition on and check for 12v on the green.  If not there is an
open-circuit in the green so trace it back through a 2-way bullet connector
(check for 12v both sides) which then goes direct to a spade on the fusebox.

If there is 12v on the green link the two wires on the switch together -
green and green/purple, and again check for 12v on both these wires.  If 12v
is now missing there is a bad connection back towards the fusebox, check
again as above with the link in place.

If the brake lights are now on the switch is either faulty or maladjusted.
These switches on the pedal cover are of a normally closed type.  If you
unscrew it the lights should come on, and if you screw it in too far it can
stop the lights coming on even with the pedal released.  Note that like this
it can also affect the brakes by stopping the pedal coming back as far as it
should, which causes binding brakes.

If the lights still aren't on, with the link still in place and the ignition
on, check for 12v check where the green/purple from the brake light switch
joins the same colour in the rear harness at a 2-way bullet connector in the
mass by the fusebox.  If on both sides of that check the 4-way bullet
connector in the boot by the right-hand rear light cluster.

If there the right-hand bulb could be blown and there could still be an
open-circuit at the 2-way bullet connector by the left-hand cluster, or its
bulb could be blown as well.

If other bulbs in the cluster(s) light normally there could still be
corrosion between the bulb and its holder, and I have heard of two instances
of an open-circuit where the brass bulb holder is attached to the casting of
the light cluster body.

PaulH.