Re: [Mgs] MG sighting - the octagon

To: "Murray Arundell" <arundell@ghs.com.au>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] MG sighting - the octagon
From: "Richard Gosling" <rbgosling@googlemail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 08:49:43 +0100
Bear in mind that, in Eastern Europe, it was impossible to buy cars by
Western European manufacturers until the fall of communism in the late
80's.  So there is no reason that almost anyone there would have ever heard
of MG (I've no idea if MG/Rover tried to sell modern MGs in those markets).
Up to the fall of communism the only cars they could buy (if they were
lucky) were cars made in their own or neighbouring communist countries -
Lada, Yugo, Trabant, FSO, Skoda, Wartburg, Dacia (probably one or two others
I've forgotten).  Since these cars were all totally cack (excluding
post-communist Skodas, which are good, being essentially VW underneath) they
have long ago fallen apart, hence the total lack of anything other than
modern Euroboxes on their streets today.  No doubt there are a few of the
communist-built cars still around being maintained by collectors - the
Trabant particularly seems to attract a certain devotion (even I was once
tempted to buy one), probably because it was unusually crap even for a
communist-built car - very slow, smokey 2-stroke engine. bizarre
column-shift manual gearbox, cardboard bodywork (no rust!).

Still doesn't explain the MG sign on the toy shop!  I guess the owner may
have seen the logo somewhere, maybe during a trip to Western Europe, thought
it looked good so decided to use it.  Or maybe he's a secret MG fan, with a
collection of pre-war MGs hidden in a barn away from prying eyes for 40
years during communist rule...

Richard & Sammy ('73 Black Tulip BGT)